Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 5: All you need is love!


What a beautiful day! Do you know how amazing you are? You truly are. You’re totally and completely LOVED! 
Sometimes we get so caught up in the hustle and bustle that we forget to love ourselves. What happens then? What are the consequences?

I have a little demonstration to show you what I think happens.

You have to love you before you can love anyone else. As a mom, I know this is easier said than done. I know how selfish I feel when I take time for myself. But, what I’ve found is that I’m a better mom when I take the time to recharge. 
This is a little embarrassing, but I feel the need to be open and honest on this blog. So, after the divorce I threw myself into the dating scene. I was on a mission. I didn’t want to waste time being single. 
You can probably see where this is going and if I had really paid attention, I probably would’ve seen the ‘red flags’ (*wink wink* JR). 
Turns out that I wasn’t really happy with where I was. I felt overwhelmed with my 13-year old brother (moved in with me in August) and 2-year old son. My son’s dad was out of town a lot training for a new job. I had this impression that asking his family for help was admitting failure. 
My dating life was my escape. It was my time to be a women, to be me. For a couple of hours I wasn’t responsible for making dinner, checking to see if the homework was done, changing diapers, washing the laundry...I know, I know. Woe is me, right? It sounds ridiculous that I was complaining. I could see the blessings in my life, but my challenges were outweighing them. It was like an eclipse. 
One day, I was talking with some wise Army guys at work. Yes, you read that right...wise Army guys. They asked me some hard questions. What are really looking for? Do you really want to be in a relationship? Are you even giving these guys a chance?
Then the boys went to stay with their dads for Christmas. I missed their hugs, cooking dinner for them, asking how their day went. I took time for myself to figure make my lists of sustains and improves. I asked myself what was important to me. I LOVED myself again.
The eclipse is gone. There are still rough days, but I’m able to unplug from the unnecessary energy drainers. I plug into the things that I want to. I stay strong for the boys. I lead by example.




Take the time to fix your cracks. Take time for yourself. Your journal prompts for today are:
  1. What makes you unique?
  2. How would you describe yourself?
  3. What do I love about myself?

Smile! You are so awesome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment