Thursday, April 12, 2012

Balance is key...

As we spring clean our lives and set goals, it’s important to retain our balance. Focusing too much on work may lead to imbalance in your diet or exercise. The scales can lean many ways. Focus too much on family and you may lose sense of your own goals and burn yourself out. 




So, where could you use some balance? You CAN control this, ya know? Are your excuses what is holding you back? 
What do you want you want in your life? A dear friend, Avianna, recently started a running journey after many years of believing she would never be a runner. Last Friday, she decided, “I am a runner.” She is now training to run a 5k race in June. And that, my lovelies, is how it’s done! I say again, what do you want in your life? Who do you want to be?


To figure out where you want to go or who you want to be, start with who you are.
I’m a woman...and a Soldier!

I’m a mother. I’m a sister. I’m a Staff Sergeant in the Minnesota National Guard. I’m a photographer and graphic designer. I’m a CrossFitter. 
Who are you? Who do you want to be?
I wanted to become more fit. That goal required better nutrition. How could I make this change. I was doing well with balance, but making time to prepare better meals seemed a little out of reach. I told myself, “STOP! Be present to change the present!”
I came home one night and needed to get some dinner made made quickly, but I was low on ingredients. I was determined to balance my evening so that I could have quality time with Logan. That meant no trip to the grocery store. 
I opened the fridge and got creative. I’m a recipe kind of gal, so this was a stretch for me. I brushed some EVOO onto some portabella mushrooms and put them in the oven for 10 minutes. At the same time I sautéed some sausage, salsa, spinach and green peppers. After those were nice and toasty, I added them into the mushrooms and baked for 5 more minutes. It was quick, healthy and filling.



Step out of your comfort zone! Thank you for sharing the following quote, Grace!
"A ship in harbor is safe,
but that is not what ships are built for." 
~ John A. Shedd


I love anything Mexican, but was challenged due to my recent goal of giving up chips, bread, tortillas and the like. 
So, when I was craving tacos last night, I just changed it up. I took 99% lean ground turkey and cooked it up with taco seasoning. Not impressed yet, are you? Well, I skipped the sour cream, cheese, rice and tortillas! Instead I placed the taco meat, tomatoes, black beans and fresh salsa (no Pace Picante here!) over a bed of romaine lettuce and spinach. 
Not only was it filling, but I felt good afterward. I felt clean. I felt nourished!
Remember that balance is key. That requires you to be present. You must own your day. You must own your life. If you believe and practice this conscious living every day, you’ll be sure to keep smiling! :-)
***By the way, we’re starting a LOVE RUNNERS group here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Training schedule will be posted on Facebook. You can join even if you can’t do the run with us. If you live somewhere else, get your shoes on and run with a friend. We will have our first 5k on June 20th. Message me to be invited! 


https://www.facebook.com/events/204722742976372/?context=create



2 comments:

  1. Love this picture! And look forward to reading these blogs!! It makes me Smile! And feel good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Stef! I'm glad to hear your feedback. Sometimes this stuff just flows out of me and I wonder who's reading it! :-) I'm glad you're smiling!

    ReplyDelete