Thursday, February 23, 2012

Perfect timing: An oxymoron or frame of mind?

When I found out that I was pregnant, I first thought, "Am I really ready for this?" I don't mean to offend the parents out there that wait years to raise a child, but is there really a "ready" for such a life-changing event? I mean, you can be the most OCD person on the planet. I had weeks worth of meals stored in my freezer by the time I went into labor, but were we really ready? There's always one more thing to check off the list, right?


Recently, I've found myself trying to swim a 10k, when I only have the capability to swim a 5k (this is an analogy, of course). I found myself discouraged and wondering how I was going to swim that extra 5k. I have the energy and drive, but my "muscles" just wouldn't go any further. Then I became really sick and even more flustered. With work piling up as high as the laundry, I was fed up.


That's when we regroup. Talk to friends. Look at your vision board. Set benchmarks to your goal. Amelia Earhart broke her first world record just two years after her first plane ride, but she first had to learn how to fly...strengthen her flying muscles, so to speak.


I recently emailed a dear friend of mine and had a revelation. It's true that we shouldn't dwell on the past, but why not look back and be thankful for what you've experienced. For one day in the past, you were wishing for what you have today. 


Think about it. List the things you have today that were once a mere wish or thought. Now watch the video! I apologize for it's length, but I'm a one-take sort of gal, otherwise my OCD will kick in and I'll be up all night trying to get the perfect cut!


What's your routine?


As I was emailing this friend, I realized that I need to follow his advice and shift my paradigm (another great reason he's a great friend). In the last year, I felt as though everything in my life had changed. My job, my love, my marriage, my home (more than once), my plans, my hopes, my income, my dreams...you name it. I felt like I had this intricate puzzle, also known as life, all figured out. Well, maybe not ALL figured out, but I had a good grasp on it. Then this pesky person came and just took a hammer to it.


Photo credit: INS, The Telegraph (UK)

Yes, those are Legos! Just little tiny pieces, but as a unit, they can build a house. Yes, that's a legit house made out of legos. Woah, bring it back on track, Dajon. :-)


After completing my email and feeling all "woe is me," I realized that my puzzle (life) ain't no stinkin' legos! MY life is more like the buildings that the 'doozers' build on Fraggle Rock. They always seem to be building something, but it's never really finished. They are happy, cute little boogers, aren't they? If you're asking yourself what I'm talking about, just check this link out.


Photo credit: TheFullWiki.org


The doozers actually have it all figured out! Here's some words from one of their songs titled "All work, all play"!



Aww, the days when great vocabulary was used in theme songs. None of this Elmo's World crap! But, I digress again.


Don't shirk. Don't doze! This is your life! You are here in the perfect place, at the perfect time! Let's be joyful partners here, in this world that we revere!


Hope you're smiling! I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment